Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Sumptuous Summer Rolls


Most people who like Asian food have tried spring rolls.

However, here is a question for you.


Have you tried summer rolls?

They are a mighty tasty concoction of freshness.

Summer rolls are not fried, like spring rolls.

The Thai/Vietnamese restaurant I ordered them from uses chopped lettuce, fresh carrots in the form of "matchsticks,"  long rectangles of fresh cucumber, and a few fresh shrimp,  all wrapped in delicious rice wrapping.


There is also one leaf included, but I'm not sure what plant it's from. It's possibly tarragon and that's what I used, chopping several leaves into strips, as shown above.


The completed roll is then dipped the in a tangy hoisin-based or peanut sauce with tiny bits of chopped peanuts on top.

Oh my, they are sooooooo good so I decided to try making them at home. 

All the ingredients, including packages of Vietnamese spring roll wraps, (rice pancakes), were found in the supermarket.


One dips the spring roll wrap in warm water in order to stuff it with the fresh veggies and shrimp.  THAT, my dear peeps, is the challenge.

Working with the almost transparent rice rounds proved challenging. They seemed quite sticky and hard to handle, let alone stuff, but I did it.


Conclusion?  I'd rather order the summer rolls from the expert Thai/Vietnameses restaurant chefs!

HAVE YOU EVER TRIED A SUMMER ROLL?



6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I love them - they look good - but I have never tried to make them - yours looks pretty darn good - I am proud of you! Love,sandie

diane stetson said...

Yes after looking at your pictures I have tried summer rolls...They are so good. I love Asian food.....but I'd rather order it in a restaurant rather than make it myself. the only thing I try is stir fry and fried rice. Those I can make really well.

Linda O'Connell said...

Never tried them, but I know my grandson would. he eats sushi and anything Asian.

Red Rose Alley said...

These Summer rolls look so good, Susan. I bet they would taste good dipped in a soy sauce. I've always loved Asian food, and crave it from time to time. This was a great attempt to make these at home. Nicely done, Susan.

love, ~Sheri

ps...I wanted to thank you for your comment on my post. It really got to me, and I appreciate it very much.

TARYTERRE said...

these rolls look delicious. they are a bit labor intensive though. i've made them too.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Now I'm hungry.

God bless.

Related Posts with Thumbnails