Tuesday, August 13, 2024

A Precious Work of Art

High on a list of things well appreciated and appealing are pieces of art that people spend a great deal of time and love on.

When seeing something beautifully and expertly handmade, it always impresses me.


So recently, while perusing a great church yard sale, a folded, colorful afghan caught my attention.

Someone, no doubt, worked hundreds of hours on this piece. 

It even has colorful fringes on all sides, as shown below:

It has dozens of colored squares against a black background.

While no expert of any kind, I think it's knitted. 

The price tag was a shockingly low $10.

The afghan is now home with me.

After washing and drying, it covers perfectly the back of the couch. 

It goes well with nearby deep pink cranberry glass and pink velvet pillows.

Deep thanks to the person who gave so much of their time, skills, and heart to creating this truly beautiful and unique piece.


DO HANDMADE PIECES OF ART APPEAL TO YOU?

5 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

That knitted throw is amazing, Susan. What a find you came across at the church yard sale. It even has some PInk colors in it, and it goes so nicely with your velvet pillows. It makes your couch looks so comfy and cozy. I love it. Can you believe you got it for $10? I always think that these handmade pieces are wonderful and made with love. You always find the most unique items while you're out, Susan. : )

~Sheri

Anonymous said...

I think your beautiful afghan is crocheted rather than knitted. Such glorious colours. Elaine (in Toronto)

diane stetson said...

Oh that is a lovely crocheted afghan Susan. I am sure you love it and it was very inexpensive. It looks lovely with the other decorations you have surrounding it. Good find.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I love your crocheted afghan and the way you've displayed it on the back of your couch. Oh my! I love all the bright colours. I used to love crocheting those kinds of squares - they are reasonably easy to create and put together. I haven't done anything like that in a long time, so I'm enjoying yours. And my goodness, the price was shockingly low. You got a real bargain, m'dear!

I love this line: "High on a list of things well appreciated and appealing are pieces of art that people spend a great deal of time and love on." I'm with you, Susan, I find the creative work of other people truly inspirational.

Happy Day!

My Tata's Cottage said...

That is very lovely. My friend was suppose to give me one of the dozens they found after her aunts passing but her brother decided to try to get top dollar on ebay. I was very sad.

Related Posts with Thumbnails