Sunday, July 14, 2019

Sunday Memories


It's funny how looking at something in one's house can trigger a memory, isn't it?

Out on the enclosed side-porch stands my maternal grandmother's hutch.

It used to be maple colored but it has been painted white because, personally, bright things are more pleasing.

Open the glass doors of the hutch and you will find an assortment of very old china, rose-covered pieces, an angel candlestick, and so on.

Looking at the hutch reminds me of my Grandmother and how she loved this piece of furniture.

My late parents made trips to her house just about every other Sunday of my life when I was a little girl.

It was an hour's drive each way.

My Grandmother always had some delicious Polish food ready to serve us.

Those certainly were the days, my friend, and even though we thought they'd never end, they did.

Of course, these days, I am the grandmother people come to visit! 

Now, how the heck did THAT happen?

 DID YOU KNOW ANY OF YOUR GRANDPARENTS? IF YES, DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING THAT REMINDS YOU OF THEM?


7 comments:

diane stetson said...

I have a greeting card holder made by Grandma and each Christmas my cards go in it and I think of her. Right now it’s on my kitchen table holding the latest mail.

Chatty Crone said...

I do remember both of my grandma's. We lived in GA, but we went to Indiana every Christmas and summer and stayed with one and visited the other. They loved me so much - I remember them and their love very much.

Merlesworld said...

I have a picture of a forrest in autumn that hangs in my lounge room above the tv it was all i have of my grandmother.
Merle..............

Linda O'Connell said...

Those treasures are displayed beautifuully. I have a pair of plaster dutch kids on my wall that used to be in my maternal grandma's kitchen.

Kit said...

What a lovely memory! Yes I do. The year my Grammy died was also the year I had my first baby. She knitted me a yellow and white baby blanket. It is now 37 years old and is always at the base of my bed. :) Kit

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

From my one grandma, I have an poem written into my autograph book by her, signed with her birthdate underneath (1896). I have doilies she made (she loved to crochet). And I have an old tin box with a hinge lid, a souvenir from Queen Elizabeth's Coronation. I think it had candies or chocolates in it originally. In it's long history, it later held embroidery cotton skeins, buttons, and when she gave it to me as a girl, I'm not sure what I stored in it. But I loved little boxes to hide treasures in.

From my other grandma, I have a pie plate of hers. Apparently it came home with my mom from my grandma's funeral, with leftover pie in it. That was back in the mid-60s. And then recently my mom gave the plate to me. I love thinking that it was hers when I use it to make pie. It's a wonderful old pyrex pie plate.

By the way, Susan, my brother and his daughter were in Poland this past week to see if they could find the original farm where my father and his siblings were all born many many years ago. They found the town and the farm. We were all pretty chuffed when he sent photos back to Canada. A little bit of our history.

Wishing you a beautiful day...
Brenda xox

Red Rose Alley said...

Your grandmother's hutch is charming, Susan, and I can see that she liked roses and pretty tea pots. That vase is gorgeous. How wonderful that you had Polish food when you came to visit her as a little girl. And that was really special that your mom traveled to see her every other Sunday when it was an hour away.

I have two candlestick holders that belonged to my grandmother and her gravy bowl from 1944 that I use each Thanksgiving. These special items are so precious to us, aren't they?

~Sheri

Related Posts with Thumbnails