Sunday, December 12, 2010

Old World Polish Santa Joins Holiday Decor




Every year at least one more Santa joins the army of others at our house.

Turning each new Santa upside down, I write down the current year in permanent marker. That way I can remember when he was acquired.

This year, a Polish Santa joined his cousins. He represents my mother's Polish roots so I 'm honored to have him.  Among the treasured memories of childhood are many pertaining to my Polish grandparents.





The Polish Santa is a short fellow, standing about four inches from his toes to the top of his head.




He's on a kitchen window sill with some reindeer bears.  I can almost hear him say, " Wesolych Swiat" (Merry Christmas) in Polish!





DO YOU HAVE DECORATIVE ITEMS IN YOUR HOME REPRESENTING YOUR  ETHNICITY?

8 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

How fun to add a Santa each year. I think it is important to remember where we came from. hugs, Linda

Bookie said...

This is a great Santa, Susan!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Hey Susan, I haven't even gotten my tree up yet. Almost bought a little wooden Santa today when I was doing some necessary shopping today. The days are just speeding by and I can't seem to catch up. :/ Hope you are having a wonderful day. Tammy

diane stetson said...

Too bad he can't sing a Polish Christmas carol...ha ha ha!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

It would be nice to have some kind of Christmas decoration representing my heritage. Half Irish,half Italian. I do a lot of Italian cooking though, much more than any thing else. Have you ever seen the beautiful polish ware on QVC. Pricey but boy is it stunning.

Rebecca said...

What a great addition to your collection! And I really like that glass tree! Beautiful.

Chatty Crone said...

Good idea to buy a Santa every year and mark when you get them. My husband is Polish! love,
sandie

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

He's lovely -- and so cool that he's "connected" to your family! We're a redheaded family, and we do have Raggedy Ann and Andy on our tree... :0)

Related Posts with Thumbnails