Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Very Berry Nutty "Pruney" Corn Bread!

The night air last evening had a real nip to it.


Immediately, a nice warm corn bread came to mind.  Admittedly, when I make cornbread, I use Jiffy corn bread mix.

However, in addition to 1/3 cup of milk and 1 egg, I also add a can of creamed corn. Most of the time, I double everythin, except for the corn....two mixes, 2/3 cup of milk, 2 eggs, and the can of creamed corn. (I think it's 15 ounces). 




Well, last night, after mixing all the ingredients together, I cut up some prunes and added those. Then, I sprinkled in about a cup of pecan halves. 

Remembering there was a bag of "very berry" berries from Trader Joe's in the pantry, I added those, too. There's a variety of all kinds of dried berries in it.

Popped the whole thing into a 400 degree oven and baked it about 40 minutes. The whole house smelled wonderful and we will have this very berry nutty "pruney" (made up word)  corn bread with coffee for breakfast!

DO YOU LIKE CORN BREAD?

8 comments:

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

What a lovely recipe! It looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see you on my blog:)

diane stetson said...

I only like chef Guazzo's cornbread from school. It is to die for and I've never had any so moist and delicious as his . I'll have to try yours sometime...sounds good!

Bookie said...

I would never have thought of adding fruit to cornbread! Sounds interesting though and will try it sometime.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Yum! Wish I was have this for breakfast too! :)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

You added the prunes and fruit instead of the creamed corn, right? I love cornbread and make it all the time. I have a recipe called Native American Cornbread that is really good:

1 cup flour; 1-1/3 cups cornmeal; 1 TBS baking powder; 1/2 tsp salt; 1/2 cup dried cranberries; 2 large eggs; 1/4 cup honey; 1 cup nonfat milk; 2 TBS sunflower oil. Pour into greased pan and bake in 400 degree oven

Hope you are having a good day! Tammy

Kit said...

I just love cornbread, but I have never added anything to it. I think I am missing something. :) I love it with butter (real) and honey. Kit

The Old Parsonage said...

To be truthful no - but I make it often for the men. Mr OP and the boys love it. I make Ina Gartens recipe - they love it and it's good for cornbread stuffing.

Enjoy!
Leann

Chatty Crone said...

That is one thing we all love - cornbread and yours looks great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails