Tuesday, September 13, 2011

September Dinner Night



Entertaining adds spice to life.

It's a lot of work. There's planning of what to serve, ingredients to be bought, housecleaning to do, table setting to complete, cooking, and so on.

But what can be more wonderful than having loved ones gather around a table in a dining room on a September night? 

Recently, I invited people, three of them teachers, to celebrate getting through the first couple weeks of a new school year.




Cheeseburger soup was the first item on the menu. It's one of my favorites, thick and creamy and filled with the taste of sharp, white cheddar cheese and chunks of hamburger. It's also flecked with carrots and celery. Yum yum yum.

Then, salad was a simple mixture of lettuces with Ranch croutons. Nearby were chopped roasted beets and tangy feta cheese. Dressing was maple vinaigrette.

The bread basket held onion rolls, regular white rolls, cheese twists, and homemade carrot muffins as well as banana bread slices.




A sesame chicken main entree was okay but I wouldn't make it again. Being a perfectionist, I gave it only a  "C" rating.

For dessert, I served the most delicious (to me) key lime graham gelato by Ciao Bella and homemade sugar cookies with colored sprinkles all the way through them.

We had wine and coffee to drink as well as iced water with lemon slices.

An autumn color scheme brightened up the table as well as candles in crystal holders.


Best of all, I loved celebrating the teachers present because their jobs are so hard and so important. They literally have little lives in their hands.

The dinner night made my heart fill with gratitude for loved ones, plus good food and a nice atmosphere.  There is just so much to be thankful for.  

DO YOU LIKE TO ENTERTAIN?

6 comments:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Just lovely, Susan! The menu, the table... every detail is beautiful! I LOVE to entertain :) I love people and am always blessed to have them into our home. So you be sure to tell me when you are coming to south Jersey because I would LOVE to have you over :)

Linda O'Connell said...

You are amazing, Susan.

Dianne said...

What a lovely evening! Your table is beautiful... I do like to entertain, but I've never really had the place to do so... I did throw a big party while I lived in my tree house... It was only 400 square feet, but the grounds were so enchanting we mostly hung outside. My entertaining now consists of tea with my neighbor Charmaine and New Years Day dinner with pork roast, black eyed peas, collard greens and corn bread for my dad and brother. My daughter entertains a lot... so I go there!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Sounds like it was a great evening, Susan. I don't really entertain -- I hate cleaning! Whenever I do a thorough cleaning, I tell hubby to hurry and invite people over because it won't last for long. Ha! Best wishes to you, Tammy

Chatty Crone said...

Well you know how to throw a party. Hamburger soup - I've never heard of it , but it does sound good - fattening though. lol

Love the flowers and the table setting too!

Love,
sandie

diane stetson said...

I am a teacher and would have loved to have been there...xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails