Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sunflowers Bring a Bolt of Light to a Dark Day



No matter how broke my wallet may be, I try to have living flowers in the house,  some, if not most, of the time.

The person who taught me about the importance of having living flowers around is one of my life's mentors, Alexandra Stoddard.  Her writing is optimistic, uplifting, and, well, just nice.

I've never met her in person but feel as if she's a dear friend. Many of her books line almost an entire shelf in my home library. No way would they ever be sold as they have added so much goodness to my life.  I love Alexandra!

So the sunflowers shown in this post are mixed with yellow chrysanthemums and another kind of flower. The latter is soooooo unique. It's got tiny little orange balls on it, like ultra miniature pumpkins.




A dear friend who takes Ikebana classes (Japanese flower arranging) almost always drops flowers off at our house when her class is over. She's so kind and generous to do that!



The yellows and oranges of this bouquet are perfect for autumn.  I like to say the word "autumn" instead of "fall,"  don't you?  "Fall"  makes me think of falling down and that's something I try to avoid doing.

If you don't have any living flowers in your home, run, don't walk, to the supermarket and get some. You deserve to have beautiful, living flowers in your house. Even a single bloom in a vase will do just fine, thank you.




DO YOU TRY TO KEEP FLOWERS AT HOME YEAR-ROUND?

8 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Beautiful! I don't keep flowers in my home like I should! Thanks for reminding me to treat myself!
hugs, Linda

Linda O'Connell said...

My outside floors are glorious, growing, and it makes me so happy to see them flourishing at this time of year.

mo said...

I try, but for them to live in the summer here, I store them in the refrigerator...my husband still doesn't get it! lol

*hugs*

mo

Dianne said...

I do love flowers in my home... also my office, when I had one. Every Monday I would put flowers on my desk and take a pic with my phone to send to my friends... I called it Monday Flowers!

Bookie said...

Sunflowers!!!! Always a delight...they are Kansas state flowers so special to me.

Chatty Crone said...

Honestly I don't - but I do have flowers - if you know what I mean - in my house.

I can just picture those gorgeous sunflowers in your beautiful home - with all that wonderful snow.

sandie♥

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

What a lovely bouquet. I do try to keep fresh flowers around, but it depends what the grocery store has fresh. Sometimes the flowers are gorgeous and other times not pretty at all.

diane stetson said...

We don't have too many dark days where I live and I do not buy flowers for myself. I love getting them though and I did get a lovely boquet from a friend this past weekend after one of my shows. It made me smile.

Related Posts with Thumbnails