Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Used Book Sale Treasures


Some women  are thrilled over diamonds.

 Others love shoes by the dozen or expensive perfume.


As for me, show me a sign to a used book sale and my heart starts pounding fast.


Of course, with books lining floor to ceiling shelves in our living room "library,"  the time has come to be very discerning. Only books I really, really, REALLY want come home with me now.


Sometimes I find books intended to be gifts, too. Those are allowed into my used book sale bag.


At a sale last weekend, look at the sweet treasures I found.


The book below,  on kitchens, has absolutely delightful watercolor paintings it would be hard not to fall in love with. 





New on the horizon are the services of life coaches. 

They are different than therapists. 

I'd love to go to one but there's no extra money for such a luxury.

But I found this book written by a coach and hope I'll learn a lot from her.



Now everyone knows that Mediterranean women are beautiful as well as healthy. 

While I never purport to be slim in the future, healthier sounds good so this cookbook was a steal for a buck.


Who can't use happiness boosters?  This one goes onto the shelves in the Throne Room for easy reading.


 Last but not least, this one sounded interesting. Elves, huh?  Well, you never know......


 I also snagged two cool cds at the used book sale but I'll tell you about those another day as this is running a bit too long for busy people. 

WHAT WAS ONE OF YOUR BEST PURCHASES AT THE LAST USED BOOK SALE YOU ATTENDED?


13 comments:

Rebecca said...

I found a really cool, oversized vintage children's book with wonderful full-page illustrations. I'm embarrassed to say I purchased it for a dime and sold it within a couple of hours for $15! (On ebay it was priced even higher.) I was tempted to keep it but am out of room.

The books you chose are wonderful. They would have caught MY eye, too. I have NO idea why the book shelves are one of the first places I check out when I get to a thrift store :)

Dee said...

I love book sales.....a very old Bible...that is very large and broken up into three books because the pages are so large.

Ruth Kelly said...

I like Christopher Fowler books especially "the Peculiar Crimes Unit with Bryant and May detectives of London". Although his last book he wrote, he tried to do a recap on Bryant and May so you wouldn't have to read all the other stories first but it failed miserably until he really got started with the real story of the book.

diane.stetson said...

I usually do not frequent used book sales...sometimes my church has them and of course my library has them quite often. I like best sellers that are out...esp.historical fiction..that's my favorite. I get bargains now on my kindle...last week one for just 99cents.

Linda O'Connell said...

I love perusing the book shelves at thrift stores. you found some good ones.

Bookie said...

Looks like you got some good deals...we have been to Wichita to dog sit and build fence...took time to visit a bookstore and a Goodwill store...found a few books...did not need....but brought them home anyway!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I found Tiger a beautiful book on Owls that was $1 and looked brand new! I have so many books but I can't seem to stop buying them! hugs, Linda

Chatty Crone said...

I love books to Susan - I read a lot. We went to the store today to buy Andy's school books he is to read this year. We all like to read here. sandie

Barbara Neubeck said...

Hi Susan,
Books are a passion for me.
I like your choices..especially the kitchen book with watercolours in it. My kind of book.
I always look for knitting books even though I don't knit clothing.
I'm an odds and ends knitter.
Have a good week
Barb from Australia

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I haven't been to a used book sale since we were in the States a couple of years ago. I usually look for craft books -- especially cross-stitch, as those types of books aren't easy to come by anymore and are usually so expensive. My aunt has been known to pick things up for me throughout the year as she peruses all the sales in her area. Have a great day. Tammy

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi Susan: Thanks for the sweet visit. I always get encouraged when I hear from you. You made my heart smile. Your a good woman! Hugs, Martha

Lucy@heart and hearth said...

I love used books too. I guess I got this from my mother who has accumlated a great library.I usually check out the childrens section and classics.

Diann said...

Well I am a used book junkie! I check out our local libraries on a weekly basis for books. As a matter of fact, tomorrows post (my thrifty things friday party) is about some of my recent used book finds! Hope you are having a wonderful week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails