Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Foggy, Foggy Mountain Top


 There's a mountain in Western Massachusetts called Mount Greylock.

It rises 3491 feet into the heavens.


Vistas from its top, on a clear day, are breathtaking.

When there's fog, however, driving up the mountain is scary, at best.




On a recent trip there, a brave friend  and I ventured up to the top in very heavy fog.

She drove because I wouldn't have gotten behind the wheel of a car for all the tea in China.

It felt like being in the Twilight Zone.








Here is a shot of Bascom Lodge where we had lunch. We were the only ones in the dining room.



The big tower at the top was shrouded in sheets of white fog.


 Look at these sweet daisies who didn't seem to mind the fog at all!


I was glad when we got down to the bottom of Mt. Greylock and hope to go again on a sunny day!

(All photos in this post were taken by Susan Wicker.)

HAVE YOU TRAVELED TO THE TOP OF A MOUNTAIN IN FOGGY WEATHER?

14 comments:

diane.stetson said...

I have been to Mt. Greylock many times...was in a car accident there which left my youngest sister with a permanent scare on her face....horrible memories...don't think I would want to go there in the fog...no no no....You took some great pictures.

Suzan said...

Loved your foggy pictures!! That type of surroundings, is the BEST for your face!! All that moist air doesn't dry out your face!! British women have few if any wrinkles due to the moist foggy air!!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I have traveled to the top of a mountain in foggy weather. It is super scary but gorgeous also!

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: in my city in fog can not see anything. I have not visited any mountain in bad weather. That mountain of your country's great .. Keep in touch

Nellie said...

Lovely pictures, Susan. Yes, I've been to the top of a mountain in foggy weather. The Great Smoky Mountains give lots of opportunity for that.

The Old Parsonage said...

My grandparents lived over a mountain and we had to go through fog, ice, sleet, snow, you name it. But worth the trip.

Just like yours seemed to be too. Loved the photos!

Happy 4th

Leann

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Susan,
This is interesting and dark! I grew up by the Rocky Mountains. And remember the intrigue and power of mountains and fog.
Jemma

Bookie said...

This was some heavy fog! Glad you got lunch out anyway!

Dee said...

No mountain...but I love to have been with you and your friends...I love the fog.

Karen Lange said...

That sounds like quite the adventure! We've driven to the top of many mountains, but none in the fog that I recall.

Happy 4th! :)

Rick Watson said...

You two were brave souls. Beautiful photos.

Hindustanka said...

yes,w e did! Just two weeks ago, when heading towards hills for our anniversary celebration. It was raining too. brrr... but I loved it!
I liked the Bascom Lodge's shape sin the fog.. mysterious!

Chatty Crone said...

I have Susan and I have to tell you I really didn't like it - scared me to death! olo sbnadie

Joyful said...

Fog always adds a little atmosphere. But as you say, sometimes it can be a bit scary.

Related Posts with Thumbnails