Monday, January 27, 2014

Paperwhites and Hearts Brighten Dark Winter Days


One of my dear friends tucked two bare bulbs into a Christmas gift  bag.

They were simply wrapped in a napkin.



She told me to put them in water and they would be sure to bloom.

Admittedly, I had my doubts but placed the two bulbs in a glass vase with water.



In a short amount of time, the bulbs sprouted white roots and green shoots shot up very quickly.




One morning I walked into the kitchen and saw the perky white blossoms.


That made me very happy.

Since then, I've added sparkly red hearts in different sizes on long stems!  Dreamy!

The blooms are less fragrant than, say, hyacinths or Stargazer lilies, but it sure is nice to see flowers and sparkling hearts on dark and cold January days!



HAVE YOU GROWN PAPERWHITES IN WINTER?

10 comments:

diane.stetson said...

I've never heard of them...I do not have a green thumb but these sounded pretty easy to grow..enjoy them! AND STAY WARM!

Bookie said...

Oh my, how nice for you! Flowers in January. Today it reached 60 and now going down about 50 degrees tonight. tomorrow night is to be ONE. Ah, winter is wearing...I need to get me some blooms too, maybe. Have a good week, Susan.

Susan said...

So fragrant! I love Paper Whites and they just seem to encourage Spring to come a little earlier. XOXO

Linda O'Connell said...

This would be a perfect science activity to do with my preschoolers. Looks pretty Susan.

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: flowers in January are always a source of light and joy. Very nice. Keep in touch

Ruth Ann said...

I've never heard of Paperwhites. What a wonderful gift. Today is frigid, windy - AND sunny and gloriously white. The snow sparkles like diamonds. Gorgeous!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Pretty! I do love flowers and would love to try this! Hugs!!!

Nellie said...

What a colorful display, Susan! I've never grown paperwhites.

marianne said...

I have never tried to force paperwhites, but yours look wonderful, especially with the addition of the sparkly red hearts.

We had friends over for a turkey dinner on Saturday nite and they gifted me with a 1/2 dozen carnations; 6 pink and 6 red along with beautiful pine greenery from their yard. It is wonderful to have real flowers to warm up the cold and windy winter days, isn't it?

Enjoy your paperwhites.

Chatty Crone said...

I have not grown paper whites. But I have grown cuttings into plants - it is amazing how the roots grow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails