Monday, January 13, 2014

Zuppa Toscano Copy-Cat




Whenever we are in a place that has an Olive Garden restaurant, I'm game to dine there.

Love their all-you-can-eat salad and warm, warm bread sticks.


Their main entrees are always delicious.

Zuppa Toscano is one of their yummy soups.

Pasta Fagioli, another of their soups, is delicious, too.

So, my daughter taught me a trick. Order a bowl with half of one and half of the other.

The waiters and waitresses never mind doing that.

Well, on a cold, rainy Sunday, I decided to make Zuppa Toscano at home.



Food.com, online, had an Olive Garden copy cat recipe.

I tried it and it turned out absolutely delectable.



Even my daughter and son-in-law thought it was just as good as the Zuppa Toscano served at the Olive Garden.



Here's the copy cat recipe, with many thanks to Food.com:

Olive Garden Copycat Zuppa Toscana

Cycle Michael's Note:

This is a clone of the Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana. Tried and true, approved by former Olive Garden chefs.

Ingredients:

Servings:

4-6

1 lb Italian sausage (I like mild sausage)
2 large russet baking potatoes, sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup bacon bits (optional)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups kale or 2 cups swiss chard, chopped
2 (8 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 quart water
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions:

1
Chop or slice uncooked sausage into small pieces.
2
Brown sausage in your soup pot.
3
Add chicken broth and water to pot and stir.
4
Place onions, potatoes, and garlic in the pot.
5
Cook on medium heat until potatoes are done.
6
Add bacon.
7
Salt and pepper to taste.
8
Simmer for another 10 minutes.
9
Turn to low heat.
10
Add kale and cream.
11
Heat through and serve.







HAVE YOU EVER EATEN ZUPPA TOSCANO AT THE OLIVE GARDEN?

12 comments:

Nellie said...

This sounds absolutely delicious! I do try to stay away from creamy soups, though. My choice is usually the Pasta Fagioli.

diane.stetson said...

I haven't eaten at Olive Garden in about 10 years. My favorite Italian soup is Minestrone.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Hi Susan,

Yusef loves Colorado but he is not so keen on the freezing cold temperatures.

I always get the minestrone soup at Olive Garden. A complete meal with all you can eat salad (and I make a concession for the breadsticks even though I don't eat butter anymore).

Have a good week. Tammy

The Girl who Loved to Write said...

This is my favorite soup ever!

Merlesworld said...

All new to me but this soup does sound good.
Merle...........

Bookie said...

Thanks as this soup looks wonderful...so nice in that perfect bowl too!

Terri Tiffany said...

It sounds so good! I've never eaten their soup before. I might try a variation of this.

marianne said...

The Olive Garden is one of my favorite place to dine also. I have never ordered this soup before tho.
Will definitely have to try to make it at home. Nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a winters day in New England. Thanks for the recipe.

Chatty Crone said...

You and I have the same tastes in soup - I can tell - that is my favorite too.

Thanks also for that site that shows copy cat recipes.

I hope you had a great day Susan.

Sandie

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh yummy, I'm copying this amazing soup! Sounds yummy and I love this as is my taste for a soup and so is hubby's! Have a super 2014!
FABBY

Dee said...

I am lucky to have an Olive garden nearby because now I need to visit for lunch. ;)

Nairobi said...

Nice and hearty

Related Posts with Thumbnails