Sunday, January 25, 2015

Solemn Sunday


Life goes by quite  quickly.

In some ways, it seems like yesterday that my sisters and I were children, sitting around my Polish maternal grandmother's kitchen table playing Monopoly.

My handsome Uncle Donnie had finished his service in the U.S. Air Force and was home once again.

He always played Monopoly with us kids and it meant so much.

He really paid attention to us, always asking about our lives. He never ignored us or thought of us as just children. 

He was funny, too, and always made us laugh.

Fast forward several decades. 

 We now live in a different state than my uncle. Our communication dwindled down to yearly Christmas cards and birthday cards. 

Life's busyness took over with our own kids and now, grand kids.

Wednesday the phone rang. It was a dear cousin.  She told me Uncle Donnie, 82 years old, had died at home of a heart attack that morning.

How sad we missed the opportunity to visit with him one last time. How utterly tragic, really. 

It will be a regret taken with me to the grave.

At his funeral and we will join other family members and friends to give Uncle Donnie a sweet send-off.

May his heart now be at peace, never to suffer or struggle  again. 

If there is an older family member  or friend you haven't seen for awhile, don't delay.

  Make a date to visit sooner than later before she or  he is gone forever. 

DO YOU BELIEVE IN AN AFTERLIFE?

13 comments:

Terra said...

Good advice from you, about visiting older relatives and really, everyone we love. Yes, I believe in heaven for all who follow Jesus, as He promises us that in many Scripture quotes.

diane.stetson said...

I know Uncle Donnie is in a better place. I do remember the monopoly games very well. Please give the family my love as I can't be there tomorrow. Love the birds on top of your post today!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Sorry to hear of your uncle's passing. It happens quite often in families especially when everyone is so spread out. Since my dad stopped talking to me many years ago, I've tried to get in touch with family members on his side but no one seems to want to talk. Such is the way of life. Everything changes with time. Sending blessings of peace and comfort to you and yours, Tammy

Kamyria said...

Awww... I'm so sorry about your dear Uncle passing and your loss. I am pretty bad at keeping in touch and posts like this remind me that I have to make effort a little more. Thank you. :)

Yes, I do believe in the afterlife although I can't say that I know what exactly happens after we die.

Merlesworld said...

It's sad when our favourite uncles and Aunties die, mine were always so much fun when I was young but you do grow apart life gets busy when you have a family.
The afterlife well it's a possibility we never know.
Merle..............

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: I'm sorry the loss of your uncle. he was endearing. I also really like the game of Monopoly. Very funny. Of course I believe in the afterlife. It is the hope that I have when someone dies. I always think there is a better life. Keep in touch

marianne said...

Beautiful and peaceful birds in your post. They evoke tranquility and calmness, especially with the light from the window illuminating them.

I, too, have regrets that I didn't have more contact with Uncle Donnie as the years went by. May he rest in peace and know we loved him always.

Lady Linda said...

My dear Susan, oh, I can hear the sadness in your words and my heart goes out to you. It is a sweet gift to have a great uncle. I had some good ones and some not so good ones. Most of mine have slipped away now too. I do wish I had spent more time with some of them. Oh yes, I do believe in life after death and a Savior. Hugs to you. I hope you are ok with the winter weather I heard about in your area. Hugs.
Linda

Bookie said...

I'm sorry for you, Susan. Life just keeps throwing us hard balls, doesn't it? I know your feelings...again sorry for and with you.

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Oh Susan,
I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your Uncle. Our world has changed and people (all of us) have moved so far away from so many people very dear to us. If you had lived closer you would have kept up with him. Nevertheless a very good reminder for us all to make more effort.
Thinking of you,
Jemma

SImple and Serene Living said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. My uncle has been diagnosed with Lymphoma and is in hospice. I need to make my way over to see him. xo Laura

The Old Parsonage said...

Hi Susan

So sorry to hear about your dear Uncle Donnie. May your memories help to heal you heart.


Yes, I believe in everlasting life.

Hope that all is well. Take care with the snow heading our way.

xo

Chatty Crone said...

I believe in Heaven - yes I sure do.
I believe in Jesus and can't wait to meet HIM!

I am sorry about your uncle for you - but he is happy right now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails