Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Voice of One Woman Had a Huge Impact


It's always fascinating to visit historical places.


Some people who lived in past times were very inspirational and helped to change the course of history.

  Such is the case with the New England writer, Harriet Beecher Stowe. 


At the Harriet Beecher Stowe Center in Hartford, Connecticut, one can learn a lot about this truly amazing and influential woman.


All the photos in this post were taken there. 


Today's post is the the second written about Mrs. Stowe. 

If you missed yesterday's and are interested, you can read it here.


The bedroom was Mrs. Stowe's.

 In the kitchen, meals were prepared for for the seven Stowe children and their parents! 

                                   (This chicken looked so real but it wasn't.)

While raising her  children, she was a dedicated and involved mother.  


However, having seen the injustice of slavery, she decided to write the novel "Uncle Tom's Cabin."  

It was after the tragic death of one of her own little ones that she began to write the novel.  

The sorrow in her own heart made her think of the slave mothers she had witnessed being ripped away from their babies at human auctions.


                        She wrote only one other book about slavery but penned 28 other books on a variety of subjects.



This writing desk in the bedroom of Harriet Beecher Stowe's home in Hartford is similar to where she used to write:

   
The photos in this post were all taken in the Hartford home where she lived for many years and where her neighbor was New England Writer, Mark Twain!

If anyone has any doubt whether one person can make a difference in the world, a study of Harriet Beecher Stowe's life is in order. 

DO YOU PERSONALLY BELIEVE ONE PERSON CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD?  HOW DO YOU MAKE ONE YOURSELF? CAN YOU SHARE WITH US?

7 comments:

diane.stetson said...


after teaching piano, voice and general music classes for 41 years I hope I've changed a few lives for the better. My own students are now music teachers...can't ask more than that!

Karen Lange said...

Thank you for sharing the tour with us. I love when we can get a glimpse of history this way. Yes, I do believe one person can make a difference. I think Harriet Beecher Stowe shows us that it is possible. :) Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Thank you for taking us on this journey, I like the furnitures a lot.

Chatty Crone said...

First of all thank you. I enjoyed this. Boy what a woman - she really felt her faith and followed through on it!

Lady Linda said...

Thank you Susan for this delightful post. I just have to go back to New England. You have so much to see and do that has great meaning. I enjoyed your post. I liked learning that she was a dedicated mama..always makes me feel good and makes me happy.
How are you doing?
Linda

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: Hartford home nice pictures. Fabulous vintage furniture. I hope I'm raising my daughters well. Keep in touch

Linda O'Connell said...

So happy you take us on your adventures. I would love to see this in person.

Related Posts with Thumbnails