Saturday, May 19, 2018

Living in the Moment


Books, magazine articles, and radio and television shows have constantly stressed the importance of living in the moment.

In reality, it's all we have since yesterday is gone and tomorrow has not yet come.


Still, at times, something in the moment propels us to our past.

Lilacs do that for me.

One whiff of their heavenly fragrance or a glance at light purple ones on bushes, brings me right back to being a little girl walking to elementary school.


Sniffing lilacs was a pleasant part of childhood spring days.

Then, when our two kids were little, we lived in a big, rehabbed Victorian house on a side street in a big city.  


In a yard right across the street from us grew lilacs! 

 Our kids would run out in the spring and cut big bunches of them.

 Then, I'd place the exquisite flowers in vases in almost every single room of the house.


Imagine how thrilling it was to get a big bouquet of lilacs last week from the bushes in my daughter's back yard.  


Like life, itself, blooming lilacs don't last long so it's important to cherish every single moment with them and that is what is being done around here.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE COLOR LILAC?

5 comments:

Patti said...

Sadly, my lilacs are done for the season. I sure loved them while they were in bloom, though!

Blessings,
Patti @ Celebrating Our Days

Sandi said...

Lilacs do that for me too. :)

Purple are my favorite.

Have a blessed Sunday, Susan!

diane stetson said...

Don't have them where I live but I love the smell of them and purple is my favorite color. Enjoy them while they last.

Chatty Crone said...

Purple are my favorite. So Susan where did you live when you raised the kids?

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I've been enjoying my visit, Susan. Been catching up on the past few posts. The lilacs are gorgeous. Ours are later blooming so nothing yet, but my friend gave me a few sprigs for my table. Enjoying their heady fragrance.

Wishing you a beautiful day...
Brenda

Related Posts with Thumbnails