Thursday, August 29, 2024

Heavenly Hibiscus

 


Looking out toward the back yard of my daughter and son-in-law's home, I can see a new breathtaking pink hibiscus plant.

Its huge flowers are pink, my favorite color.

 

Not only are hibiscus flowers incredibly beautiful, reading about them becomes quite fascinating.

Most of the information in this post, about this plant, comes from a variety of sources on the Internet so many thanks to the websites that provide information.

 Hibiscus is a perennial so it comes back year after year. It requires full sun and daily watering.

Some say it's a native of Asia.  It has, indeed, been cultivated in China, Japan, and the Pacific Islands.

 Its massive flowers bloom and often last just one day.  

A potted hibiscus, however, if well cared for, can live up to 40 years. 

It is the national flower of Malaysia where it is called the "Queen of Flowers."

 

It's also the state flower of Hawaii and symbolizes "hospitality, friendship, the beauty of the islands."

Surprisingly, there are more than 200 species of hibiscus which is known to be a natural remedy for many kinds of ailments.

 For years now, I have been drinking deep red hibiscus tea, without sugar, to lower blood pressure. It's tangy and, to my taste, at least, quite delicious. And yes, it lowers blood pressure readings every time I drink it.

However, it's also said to promote weight loss, help end constipation, lower bad cholesterol, and help with colds. Who knew?

Coffee grounds as well as crushed banana peels and tea grounds, mixed with soil, will make hibiscus plants happy.

 One other welcome fact about hibiscus plants is that humming birds are attracted to the flowers.

 Personally, just looking at those gorgeous dessert-plate sized pink blooms makes me smile and lifts my spirit higher than a kite.

HAVE YOU EVER HAD A HIBISCUS PLANT?

4 comments:

Shug said...

This is one of my favorite flowers/plants. I only wish that that the flowers would last longer. I have one plant and it is also pink. The flowers are so delicate and just touching them, makes them weep. I think I will try the red hibiscus tea. I'm guessing you drink it as a hot tea? Thank you for the information Susan...Happy FriDay!

Red Rose Alley said...

You have much knowledge about the hibiscus plant, Susan. And you really do have a green thumb making plants and flowers thrive. Your daughter's hibiscus flowers are pretty, and the petals are huge! They look like pin wheels! Interesting it's the state flower of Hawaii. The hibiscus tea sounds soothing, and so many health benefits. And good to know that the hummingbirds are attracted to this plant. : )

~Sheri

diane stetson said...

Yes I actually had a hibiscus tree on my side yard but had to have it removed as the roots were going into the plumbing system. I was so sad to see that beautiful tree chopped down.

Debby said...

Wow I bet those little hummingbirds think they’ve hit the mother lode when coming upon one of those huge flowers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails