Monday, June 7, 2010

Hand-Painted Jewelry Box Is A Colorful Dazzler!



Today, I have invited a guest artist from Massachusetts to do a post for Writing Straight from the Heart on a really great, artistic metamorphosis! Her name is Gabriela. She transformed a broken, plain box into a kaleidoscope of colors and designs. Here, in her own words, is how it all came to be:
                                                                                                                                       
"This little jewelry box was a found item at a store called Ross. It had a broken knob and was an awful color (like a dark, rusty brown). But I thought the bones were so pretty and the intricate design in the center just wooed me! So I sanded it down, primed it up, repainted it, and threw on a couple layers of lacquer.

The colors are inspired from the Southwestern part of the United States. There is a rich palette of bold colors from Mexican and Native American culture. I love painting small polka dots – in fact, I love ALL polka dots, but especially the little ones create a nice effect. In almost all my pieces I find a space to poke a couple of dots!


Inside, I hung small tack-like nails where one can drape necklaces. The bottom drawer opens to hold rings, bracelets, that kind of thing. The project took me just over 2 hours. If you have a found item that doesn’t really “do” it for you, a little paint is all it takes! Sometimes it’s best to do this with the color theme of the room, or match colors with another item that you have. But the most fun is letting your imagination run wild and allowing your color fantasies to come true! Remember, it’s just paint – you can always change it. Happy painting!"

Please go to Susan's blog, Between Naps on the Porch, to read about more fabulous transformations for Metamorphosis Monday! See her button on the sidebar to the right.

(You can also see more of Gabriela's work at Sapling Studio, address also listed in the sidebar)






12 comments:

diane stetson said...

Very good transformation...perfect for today's posting Susan. Gabriela is quite an artist. I loved it.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Really beautiful. Amazing what an artist can see in something so plain and turn it into a work of art.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Lovely! It reminds me of all the Indian painted cupboards and boxes we can get on this side of the world. Hope you are having a great day. Thanks for all your friendly visits to my side of the world. Many blessings, Tammy

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

Beautiful and HOW CREATIVE!
I love the bold colors and how Gabriela wasn't shy to make it hers.
It inspired me to keep adding fun and color to my life!

The Old Parsonage said...

Love this piece. My daughter in love would go bonkers for it! She love color.

Just wanted to thank you so much for your many comments and support!
Leann

Karen Lange said...

This is beautiful! Thanks to both of you for sharing it with us. I am inspired now, hmm, what project can I get myself into...

Susan, thanks for your lovely and sweet comments on my blog today. I enjoy your blog as well:)
Blessings,
Karen

Anonymous said...

What a pretty transformation. I love those vibrant southwest colors. This is truly a work of art!

Dianne said...

What a delightful piece!

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

Hi Susan!
Wouldn't you know that the friend whom I bartered the pot rack with got the rack at a yard sale?
This is what happens when you have friends that like rummaging, too!
But I found this for you:
(http://www.potracksgalore.com/wall-pot-racks/761+776.cfm?viewall=yes)
Hope that helps!
Hugs to you!

Susan said...

Hi Ladies! Loved your visits and comments on Gabriela's work of art! I'm sure she will love reading your opinions.

And Leslie, you are so sweet to look up a site for me. I'm going to go there right now! Thanks, Honey!

Take care and hope you all come back real soon! Sincerely, Susan

Julie said...

Wow, so many many colors and designs. VERY unique. It just says "work of an artist!" Thanks for sharing all of the hard work and talent!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to all! ~Gabriela

Related Posts with Thumbnails