Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day Tribute



Today, Memorial Day, is a patriotic, proud but sad holiday in the United States of America.

Each year on this holiday we hang American flags from porches, go to barbecues and enjoy the day off.

It's a holiday to honor veterans who have fought for this country's freedom as well as for those brave souls now serving in the military.

My thoughts always go to the parents of male and female soldiers 
who never came home from fighting wars.

God, how can parents survive the loss of  their children?

How their hearts must ache forever.


Also, I think of the soldiers who came home permanently maimed, without limbs, blind or mentally unstable. 

Their burdens were (and are) so immense to bear.

On Memorial Day, as I listen to patriotic songs and watch tributes to soldiers everywhere, tears always fill my eyes. 

Wow.  Freedom most certainly is not free.

Thanks to all who have served, as well as died, for the United States of America and the freedom we so deeply enjoy.

This tribute is also for my late Dad and several uncles who served in all the branches of the U.S. Military. 

Also, many thanks to those in the service now, who cannot spend this day with their families, flipping burgers and enjoying being together.

May God protect them from harm and bring them safely home.


WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS MEMORIAL DAY?

6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I just wrote in my grateful journal that I was thankful for all the soldiers who fought and died for our freedom. We are lucky and blessed to live in the USA!

diane.stetson said...

I love the Memorial Day concert I watch each year from the Capitol in Washington DC...tears are always flowing. It is a great tribute to our veterans and to all who gave their life for American freedom. Let us NEVER forget.

TARYTERRE said...

a lovely tribute

Linda O'Connell said...

I watched the concert and cried for the loss of life. Thankful for the service men and women.NJ

Barbara Neubeck said...

.. I think it's important to honour everyone who protects their country..
We have Anzac Day here in Australia. It's just like your Memorial Day....a day to remember and give thanks for all members of our Services....past and present... xxxx
Hugs... Barb xxxx

Unknown said...

This is a great tribute! I hope your Memorial Day was enjoyable. I enjoyed your pictures.

Related Posts with Thumbnails