Thursday, March 15, 2018

A Winter Outdoor Surprise

While shoveling tons of snow yesterday morning, the sweet sound of bird song stopped me in my tracks.

Most of the time, as snow falls relentlessly from a light gray sky, what is most surprising is how quiet it gets.  

Pausing momentarily, to make sure it was not my snowbound imagination, there it was again----a song so sweet that it brought a smile to my lips.


I looked around to see where the sound was coming from.

Sure enough, way up on a utility wire sat a lovely, lonely bird.

His head was black but the rest of his body was a very flashy red. 

His music was truly melodious.

I couldn't help but think how amazing that little creature was to be singing, all by his lonesome, on a frosty winter morning.

Was he looking down on me shoveling? Did he start singing to make me happy?  To keep me company?  To say, "Hey, spring starts next week?" I will never know. 


The little winged one stayed quite awhile and then, whoosh, he was gone. 

 The walkways were finally shoveled so I retreated into the house.

WHAT, IN NATURE, BRINGS YOU COMFORT?

5 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

No snow here but lots of chirping birds let me know Spring is on it's way!

diane stetson said...

Well I love the sound of raindrops out my window as we do not get much rain where I live and of course we do NOT get snow. I have plenty of birds of all kinds in my yard too so I do know spring is around the corner. You've had an unrelenting winter this year.

Chatty Crone said...

Was it a cardinal? Maybe he is telling you to fly south to Atlanta and visit me!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, it was a treat for me to see your snow pictures, Susan. They really are pretty. And I think that little bird was there just for you. I wonder what kind of bird it was with a black head and red body?

love, ~Sheri

TARYTERRE said...

The sound of that sweet bird keeping you company as you shoveled would have brought a smile to my lips too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails