Friday, September 4, 2020

Ginger Cookies

 

 When it comes to making cookies around here, it's usually hands down, Toll House chocolate chip.

The grands love them.

However, dozens of different kinds of cookies have graced the oven throughout the decades, especially at holiday time.

Recently, I had a request for ginger cookies.

The recipe used is good and results in cookies that are soft on the insides and chewy on the outsides.

The recipe was found in a local newspaper and was written by one of my favorite columnists, Margaret Button.

So last night, as the temp dropped to a nice cool level, I made a  batch.

As always, they came out yummy.

Here's Margaret's recipe for Big Soft Ginger Cookies:

BIG SOFT GINGER COOKIES

INGREDIENTS:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons ground ginger

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup butter softened

1 cup white sugar

1 egg

1 tablespoon water

1/4 cup molasses

4 tablespoons white sugar

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.

Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses.

Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture.

Shape dough into 1-inch sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 4 tablespoons of sugar.

Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven.

Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Store in an airtight container.

 


 

4 comments:

diane stetson said...

Sounds good Susan. I remember eating Ginger Snap cookies with milk when I was a child. These sound like them only better. I'm not a dessert eater but I'd try one of those.

Chatty Crone said...

I have to say that they do look very good - just like real ginger snaps - lol.

Nellie said...

Yum! These sound really good! I may give them a try here!

Red Rose Alley said...

Ginger cookies! One of my favorites, especially around the holidays. How nice that you made a batch of cookies for your loved ones, Susan. They look Yummy. I wish I had one to go with my coffee this morning. ; )

~Sheri

Related Posts with Thumbnails